Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Bluebeard" Explication

“Bluebeard”
By: Sylvia Plath

I am sending back the key
That let me into bluebeard’s study;
Because he would make love to me
I am sending back the key;
In his eye’s darkroom I can see
My X-rayed heart. Dissected body:
I am sending back the key
That let me into bluebeard’s study.

“Bluebeard” by Sylvia Plath is a description of a man and a woman’s friendship where the man wants more then friendship. Plath describes how she ends her friendship with the man when she says, “I am sending back the key”. She says why she is sending back the key when she says, “Because he would make love to me”. Plath wanted a friendship from this man but the man wanted more. It appears that the man wanted more from the beginning of their friendship and that Plath has just come to the realization of what his intentions were. “In his eye’s darkroom I can see”, shows that he had his eye on something else for their relationship with one another. Also, when Plath states, “My X-rayed heart. Dissected body” shows the trauma that this relationship has caused. Perhaps she depended on this man a lot and truly cared about this friendship but then the man crossed the line in their relationship.

No comments: